Menu Map and Directions

Michigan employment disputes: Handling wage and hour infractions

Going to work day in and day out to support oneself and one's family is not always the easiest thing to do. When one is not being fairly compensated for one's time, it can make it all even harder to bear. Wage and hour laws are in place to protect employees in Michigan and elsewhere. So, when employment disputes over pay arise, they have a leg to stand on when it comes to recovering money rightfully owed them.

The federal government has set minimum wage and overtime pay requirements that employers are required to follow. Those whose employers are not meeting these standards may report their employers and seek compensation for any funds unlawfully withheld from them. Currently, the Fair Labor Standards Act says that employers are to pay minimum wage to hourly employees who work at least 40 hours a week, and time and a half for overtime shifts.

Those who believe that they are not being fairly compensated may file wage and hour violation complaints. If, in doing so, one's employer is found to have violated the FLSA requirements, one may receive back pay for any wages withheld. There is a statute of limitations on filing such complaints, however. If one wants to file, it must be done within two years of when the violation occurred.

Waiting to file a wage and hour violation complaint is not really in one's best interest. This is something that one may want to address as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can assist Michigan residents who are dealing with wage and hour-related employment disputes. With legal counsel at one's side, it is possible to take all the steps necessary to seek full and fair compensation for one's losses.

Source: FindLaw, "How to Report Wage and Hour Violations", Accessed on May 25, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers Super Lawyers dbusiness Top Lawyers Panel Member of ICLE Michigan 10.0Shereef H. Akeel Best Lawyers | Best Law Firms | U.S News and World Report | Civil Rights Law Tier1 Troy | 2017 Rated by Super Lawyers | Shereef H. Akeel | 10 Years Best Lawyers Award Badge

Office Locations facebook twitter linkedin google plus

Akeel & Valentine, PLC
888 W. Big Beaver Rd., Suite 910
Troy, MI 48084-4748
Phone: 248-918-4542
Toll Free: 888-832-1706
Fax: 248-269-9119
Map and Directions

Dearborn office
360 Porter St., Suite 200
Dearborn, MI 48124
Phone: 248-918-4542
Toll Free: 888-832-1706
Fax: 248-269-9119
Map and Directions

Back to top

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.